It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:14 am

Gods of Vermin - Your Opinions! 
Child of Seasons

Post Gods of Vermin - Your Opinions!
So, people have started to receive the album, including me, and I think it's interesting to know what you think. So I started a new thread so we don't flood the release dates thread with opinions. :D Personally, I love it. Listening to the beginning of The Piper now, it's beautiful. Seriously, the atmosphere is fantastic. Wintersmith, Sanatorium Song and the title track are also very <3.

So yeah. :yourock1:!

Last edited by Omniversal on Sun May 03, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Gods of Vermin - Your Reviews!
Alright, good idea. I am also looking forward to read your personal reviews. And don't hesitate to express also negative sides - if you found some :D !

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
King of Seasons

Post Re: Gods of Vermin - Your Opinions!
I already voiced my initial squee over at the GoV release thread, which was the wrong thread apparently (sorry! :oops: ), so here I go again:

Thank you, Sons of Seasons. I had a crappy weekend, but GoV made it all better :) This CD is the best thing that has happened to me in a while.

It's very hard to pick a favorite as all the songs are fantastic, but I'm especially fond of The Piper. As you said, Omniversal, it's got a beautiful atmosphere, and I love the kind of melancholic chorus. And of course Wintersmith! Being an Epica and Terry Pratchett fan myself, this shouldn't come as a surprise :D No seriously, the duet works really well and it's nice to have some sort of calm counterpoint to the faster songs, it creates a balance which I personally need when listening to an album. So, good job!

I really like Fall of Byzanz, too, it's got a catchy tune, and I like the dramatic edge in the vocals.

Actually, I could go on and on like this :D As I said over at the wrong thread, I'll promote this album wherever I can. As soon as I have time, I'll pimp it on my blog, and next week I'll start infecting my friends with SoS-itis :)

On a different note, what about a poll so everyone can vote for their favorite? Would make for a nice overview over the different opinions without having to wade through all the threads :)

I think ‘forever’ just falls into fiction
And our hopes belong to the past

http://www.myspace.com/wreak_ing_havoc

Sun May 03, 2009 3:42 pm
Lord of Seasons

I have my album *___* :goody1: :goody1:

First I have to say, I took the special edition and I’m very happy with it ^^ I thought the cover was white (don’t know why) so it was a surprise to discover the real colours and it’s really beautiful :ok1: The bonus track is great but different from the album (that’s why it’s a bonus track I guess :p)

Then… I’ll start saying that I really love this album :music: I’m not a musician and so the first thing that makes me love a song is the voice and the work on the voice, and I have to say, that Henning is really a fantastic vocalist. I love the fact that his voice can be really powerfull at a moment and warm and soft, just after (or the contrary xD). The way he sings is really expressive (in sanatorium song for exemple) with so much diversity that I can just admire it ^^

I think it needs severeal listenings to understand all the album complexity, but I can already say that my favourite songs are (in fact it would be faster to give you my non-favourite songs xD)

Gods of Vermin for me the most heavy track in this album, powerful but still melodic :dance1:

The Piper and Wheel of Guilt, especially this one, I love the first part really melodic, and then the heavy guitar riff and chorus *__*

Belial’s tower in fact, at first, it wasn’t in my favourites but there is in this song something that represents all I love and so I can’t stop listening it xD (if you want to know it’s between 3.55 and 5.10 min - A perfect exemple of what I said about Henning’s voice)

Wintersmith : Every metal album has at least a balad, and this one is really good. I love how the 2 voices fit together.

Sanatorium song : Ok this one is really my favourite with Third Moon Rising (and Wheel of Guilt and… rhaaaa impossible to choose xD). In both there is something darker, an atmosphere that attracts me (and I love the instrumental part, especially the beginning of Sanatorium song that reminds me medieval melody)

Tue May 05, 2009 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
King of Seasons

I have to admit, I had planned to listen to the album at least five times before I try to write a review. The problem is, I'm terribly impatient and I just can't wait any longer! :sunnny:

Two words: Absolutely amazing! :music:

It's still too early to say which songs are really my favorites, but the overall impression is just great! I love how versatile the songs are. After listening to the MySpace snippets I had the overall feeling it would be heavier in general, so I was surprised a bit that it wasn't. In a good way - the mixture is just perfect.

I'm especially impressed with Henning's voice. The range is just amazing, my husband actually asked if it's only one singer. :mrgreen: I answered yes, but I wonder on which songs he got company from guest vocals (besides Simone). The booklet sadly doesn't say it.

My favorite songs so far are The Piper, Wintersmith, Blind Mans Resolution, Belial's Tower & Sanatorium Song. And I love the intro The Place Where I Hide. So very beautiful.

I have a bit of a problem with Wheel of Guilt and the title track so far, but I really listened to the songs just three times - give me some time. I'm not even sure why I mention Gods of Vermin in this sentence. I love the song. :roll:

Okay, that's all I can say with the first impression I have so far. I will definitely write a review for Amazon. :mrgreen: Since that will be in German, I will post a copy of it in the German section. But I will wait a couple of days until I'm more familiar with the songs.

:cheers:

----
http://www.myspace.com/kamelot_germany
http://www.myspace.com/xandra73

Wed May 06, 2009 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Here's the info about the vocalists on the album:

Simone Simons: Wintersmith, Fall Of Byzanz, Fallen Family
Christian Meyke & Jan Peter (Bass Voices): Wheel Of Guilt (latin part)
Tijs Vanneste: Gods Of Vermin, Melanchorium
Mark Jansen: Grunts on Fallen Family
Oliver Palotai: Melanchorium (lead on verses), some background vocals all over the record

Everything else Henning Basse

Thu May 07, 2009 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Lord of Seasons

ahah I've recognized Mark's grunts on Fallen Family :P

Quote:
Oliver Palotai: Melanchorium (lead on verses), some background vocals all over the record

really ??? really ??? *listen to the song*

Thu May 07, 2009 10:02 am
Profile WWW
King of Seasons

Admin wrote:
Here's the info about the vocalists on the album:

Simone Simons: Wintersmith, Fall Of Byzanz, Fallen Family
Christian Meyke & Jan Peter (Bass Voices): Wheel Of Guilt (latin part)
Tijs Vanneste: Gods Of Vermin, Melanchorium
Mark Jansen: Grunts on Fallen Family

Everything else Henning Basse

Mark wasn't too hard to recognize, but thanks for the other info! Didn't know you were singing yourself! :)

By the way, what are the lyrics of Melanchorium and the latin part in Wheel of Guilt? :)

(Also, I'm currently working on my Amazon review... it just takes some time, I tend to get lengthy *g*)

I think ‘forever’ just falls into fiction
And our hopes belong to the past

http://www.myspace.com/wreak_ing_havoc

Thu May 07, 2009 10:38 am
Site Admin

Melanchorium

Remembering years, self- reliant times
in the wake of youth you shine.
A bit of forgetfulness
trust in God to be benign.
Seems the distance gets less and less
for the world to be mine.

This light you seek, this salvation
all that you need.

Control - thoughts will never be the same
Keep trying
Believe in anything but know that things won’t be the same
Keep trying

The moon stirs the tide, like a subtle hand rocks the cradle’s frame
makes me silent and confide in this old man’s tale that has no name.
Memories so bittersweet, pleasant days’ hazy sight
blurs my vision like summer’s heat, breaks the present like ice.

Thu May 07, 2009 11:12 am
Profile WWW
King of Seasons

Thanks for the info! I'm never very good with recognizing voices, especially that I'm not too familiar with Epica. My husband was especially referring to the grunts, so that mystery is solved. Now I'm curious of course how those parts will be solved live. ;)

----
http://www.myspace.com/kamelot_germany
http://www.myspace.com/xandra73

Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 am
Profile WWW