It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Magnisphyricon Reviews & Interviews (Online/Print Magazines) 
Lord of Seasons

Post Re: Magnisphyricon Reviews & Interviews (Online/Print Magazi
oh okay (: I'll try it next this time this way ;)

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:37 pm
Conqueror of Seasons

Xandra wrote:
I think I have to update the entry post tomorrow! :lol: Awesome stuff!

I just found this:

http://piranha.tv/sons-of-seasons-magni ... 011/04/21/

No rating, but very impressed.

Then there is this really long interview with Oliver from Rocknotes Webzine:
http://rocknotes91.wordpress.com/interv ... view-2011/

And the German Orkus magazine (print magazine) gave the album a 9,5/10

@Sunnivah:

The page is still an old style frame website, but I got the link to the frame with the review:

http://www.sounds2move.de/Plattenkritik ... ricon.html

"I have a song called “Tales of Greed.” It’s a bit like my little personal revenge on all the bankers and people working in the financial business. Also especially regarding the financial crisis we had right after they still went for those absolute insane bonuses, those people get the kind of money they make. So that is an important song for me."
I love this little section of the Long Interview you posted. It seems like the song would fit quite nicely to Iceland and it's current state. Also the song is badass. :)

"I just got my signature guitar from them; a 7 string. I got to design every little element about it. I was waiting for that guitar for years."
Oliver, I demand to see pics of that guitar!! Congratulations with it!! You definantly deserve one!

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:24 am
Conqueror of Seasons

I´m really sorry it took me so long to translate this, but I haven´t had much spare time in the past two weeks :imsorry:
Anyways, here is my translation of the review in Spark (some of the phrases were really hard to translate, so if there is something awkward, it´s my translation, not the review ;)

"It took two years until the band around Kamelot’s keyboard player Oliver Palotai came up with another collection after a very interesting debut album Gods of Vermin. And listening to the new album is really great. That is not such a big surprise, gentlemen are from a very noble community and they seem almost like a small metal all-star band: keyboards and guitars Oliver Palotai (Kamelot, Doro, Circle II Circle), vocals Henning Basse (Metalium, Brainstorm), guitar Pepe Pierez (Ancient Cruise), bass guitar Jürgen Steinmetz (Silent Force) and drums Daniel Schild (Blaze). But I’m sure that Magnisphyricon is a stronger creation than what they have worked on in their other bands. The material brings appealing melodies built on pillars of true power metal in addition to progressive cement and symphonic mortar. Although in SoS music are strings a very important element, it doesn’t mean that nice blasting riffs are left behind or that bass drum can take a rest. An individual chapter is Henning’s brilliant vocal – often you wouldn’t believe it is still the vocal of the same man. He amazes us with death metal passages in „Soul Symmetry“ or almost hardcore interpretation in „Lilith“ or „Tales of Greed“ (where his vocals are funnily combined with childrens’ singing). Guitars often howl like there should be no tommorow, sometimes fall back or create even a horror atmosphere („Caius Belli: Guilt’s Mirror“). My favorites are „Into The Void“ with a mindblowing start, end epic, multi-layered „1413“. It’s a real powermetal symphony! And the band kept this masterpiece for the 13th track! I cannot leave out „Sanctuary“, which Oliver’s sweetheart, Simone Simons, decorates with quiet and sensitive vocals, which she doesn’t use very often. Beautiful final ballad „Yester-years“ lets you take a deep breath after one hour of an absolute blast. For me absolutely the best record of April that can without any doubt stand comparing to the last release of Oliver’s band Kamelot „Poetry for the Poisoned“.

6/6

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:18 pm
Site Admin

Thanks a lot for translating. Sounds great!

Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Pharaoh of Seasons

Thank you for the translation and it doesn't matter that it took you so long ;)
In the end you did it and that's what counts ;)
So thank you and I like the review =D

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:51 pm Elthyra - Mowgli, terror of spammers AND savior of the Chatbox.

Quote:
Tue May 11 2010 Admin talking about the Netherlands:"It's pretty flat there, 'guess they sold the mountains when they needed money for the war against Spain."

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:00 pm
King of Seasons

SoS got a reallllly NICE review in one of the most popular metal webzines in Hungary..... but its soooo dmn loong I have no idea when I will be able to translate it. Basically it sais the same as the other on how innovative, complex and unique the guys are :) Specially highlighting Henning :) The guy didnt like Sanctuary that much though =( shame on him :P But as a conclusion he sais SoS should after Amaranthe and Evergrey :lol: :roll:

8.5/10

http://www.hardrock.hu/?q=node/15718

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
King of Seasons

Awesome!! And don't we all agree? :D

----
http://www.myspace.com/kamelot_germany
http://www.myspace.com/xandra73

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Conqueror of Seasons

Aliafne, personally I prefer Sons of Seasons over Evergrey and Amaranthe any day. Although I can't say I'm a big fan of Amaranthe.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:22 pm
Conqueror of Seasons

Here is the translation of the review Aliafne mentioned earlier. I apologize for funny structures and stuff like that, this guy's style was a challenge to mirror in English.

„Magnisphyricon” – dear Mr. Palotai, thank you very much for the tongue-tier, in exchange please just say „mit-sütsz-kis-szűcs…”* real quick. The title expresses the fragile state of being an artist in its own way according to a recent interview with the band leader. By the time the album was over I was happy to conclude that not only the lyrics but the music was serious, deep and diverse as well. Those who are familiar with the first album of Sons of Seasons (founded in 2007), the fine indeed Gods of Vernim** (’09) already know that the Kamelot associated, of Hungarian descent Oliver Palotai does not f/ck around (just to say in a sophisticated way) and has just as high a standard when it comes to music as when it comes to choosing a girlfriend (see Simone Simons – Epica).

If nowadays you hear the expression: epic metal with symphonic elements then you automatically envision some dragon chasing with huge-ass falchions accompanied by strict-looking machos on the promo pictures, or maybe some longthighed amazons leading bands into kitschy pop-ish territories the size of a Gothic Cathedral – well, Sons of Seasons is the exhilarating exception. Bear in mind that I do have favourites that belong to the aforementioned types, the subject of my review however touches bombastic themes and symphonic music that it avoids attitudinized, art for art’s sake scenarios and romantically naive sentimentalism; because there are no grandfathers here telling fairytales, no elongated soundtrack-like pieces; the ‘classical’ themes brought to life by keyboard are never there on their own, they almost always have some heavy support from guitar riffs. Although this feels close to the music of Epica, while the Dutchies emphasize the symphonic parts, Sons of Seasons are still closer in sound to Kamelot (obviously in a much harsher manner), but one can feel some Savatage and Beyond Twilight bizarre-craziness one time or another.

Henning Basse already sang on the now peacefully resting Metallium records – not badly, I might add – but the chiselled, more complex world of Sons of Seasons gives his voice more room; it is amazing how wide this man’s repertoire is starting from the softly woven lyrical melodies through the operatic-heroic sounds to the near death metal grunts and screams. In addition all his lines are smart, strong, and these serve as great hooks – meaning they can easily get stuck in your head fairly quickly – though this is still not the material for those looking for random hit songs. All in all, even though in this genre it is nearly impossible to come up with anything new and original, this German band has a sharp and individual image and flavours that not many can claim – and this is something to applaud on its own right.
And I haven’t even discussed the songs themselves yet. Even though I’m only getting familiar with the material I do feel that it needs more attention to really understand it (and it’s not a really-hard-to-get type of music either), and only time will tell whether a classic was born, or “just” an amazingly strong piece. Many songs show a familiarity with Kamelot trademarks, and sometimes Henning Basse even ‘copies’ the singing style of Roy Khan. Bubonic Waltz and Into the Void are such tracks for example; the Kamelot influence is easy to spot in their elevated choruses. More massive tracks can be found as well: Soul Symmetry and Casus Belli: Guilt’s Mirror are both full-blooded power-metal wild boar-hills, and especially the latter can be defined as one that encourages fist-shaking, with the help of its heroic chorus it can easily become a concert-favourite, and Henning here reminds me of master Jon Oliva’s hysterical organ. Tales of Greed is the only speed track and as such it punches you in the face, it tears you like a Forbidden or Vicious Rumors bomb. The change from the brief nursery rhyme to the bombastic power/trash chorus is just so genius and awesome that it’s beyond words. What is this if not Metal? Like this, in bold.

Not in the least is Nightbird’s Gospel is any less heavy, though with such a title I expected some butterfly like ethereal ballad, but no sentimentalism here either, this is one of the heaviest tracks of the record which has everything one would want, even some metalcore elements. And – do I even have to tell you this? – the chorus is direct hit. The somewhat mysterious-gothic Lilith is on somewhat similar grounds, luckily though it’s not ruined by something along the lines of Liv Kristine’s Barbie doll-like presence; it is simply the best chorus with the help of such a monumental choir piece that would even make Blind Guardian or Rhapsody proud. The only thing I can’t come to terms with is the first one and the half minutes of electric blurriness of Sanctuary, and even Simone Simons’s somewhat pale tweets are not convincing enough. The rest of the album however is much more interesting thanks to the complex, technical changes in themes and other tasty treats. At the end of the record 1413 astonishes the listener, here the sympho-mania is at its peak, choirs so magnificent as mountains blast my ears and the guys evoke the spirits Dimmu Borgir and Amaseffer for a fragment of a second here and there. The finale is not quite so rousing: Yesteryears, with its moving lyric keyboard parts and Henning’s bitter-sweet singing gives a worthy closing to an excellent record. For disappointed Kamelot fans and demanding metal-lovers Magnisphyricon is a must have. Or I can put it this way: here is one of the most important pieces of music in 2011 and I told you that in time.

*Hungarian tongue-tier. Oliver, next time we meet please do say mitsütszkisszűcs really fast over and over. Pretty please.
**deliberate typo;)

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
King of Seasons

:grouphug: Thank you for translating!!!!
Hahhh he still ows us two other toungbreakers :sarcasticblum1:

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:30 pm
Profile WWW